I got up today, let the dogs out and looked at our laundry basket on my way back. How can 2 people have so much laundry? I feel like I am in constant war with the laundry basket and I see our washer and dryer more often, then I see my friends.
Looks like I am doing laundry today -again. I sorted the clothes and put the first load in the washer. I remembered something that I had seen a while back, made me a cup of tea and went looking for it.
Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave the new bride the following recipe:
This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook – spelling errors and all.
- Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.
- Sort things, make 3 piles
- 1 pile white,
- 1 pile colored,
- 1 pile work britches and rags.
- To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.
- Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don’t boil just wrench* and starch.
- Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.
- Hang old rags on fence.
- Spread tea towels on grass.
- Pore wrench water in flower bed. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
- Turn tubs upside down.
- Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.
(* wrench =rinse)
I am offline now, will go and hug my washer and dryer.