My newest toy is a free program called “Grammarly” -an extension to Google Chrome. The word “free” is a magical world to me, I got curious and had to download it. I mean come on, why wouldn’t I do that, it doesn’t cost a thing? (What can I say, I am cheap but not easy). Better grammar, better punctuation, and a spell check for everything I write online…yeah Baby, you just can’t top that!
The program actually works -for the moment. (High five Google, you got something right).
I was all excited when I started writing this post, but that changed dramatically during the last 5 minutes because this program has corrected me now about 6 times. What either means the program is highly annoying, or my grammar and punctuation really sucks.
It underlined and highlighted some words in red, and I got beautiful messages like:
- Possessive instead of plural (Seriously….what does that even mean? Is that English? Nobody ever told me that I am possessive or something like that. The nerve of that program )
- Confused proposition (I am not confused about my proposition. You are!)
- Duplicate pronoun (What the F*** again is a pronoun?)
- Unnecessary comma use (Yeah, yeah I saw that too…show off)
- Missing comma in a series (Well, take the one from above..how about that?)
- Unnecessary comma in a complex sentence (The good news here is that I can write a complete and complex sentence, the bad news I have no idea what that could mean *pressing autocorrect*).
I like Grammarly -my new toy- as much as I like the self-checkout at my local grocery store.
I see it’s potential, but I am not totally convinced that I really need it. I started back talking to Grammarly in the same way, as I talk back to the robot lady, who seems to live in the check-out machine.
“Welcome and thank you for shopping with us, please swipe your valued customer card.” (Welcome to you too and now please shut up until I am done).
“Take your Kale and put it on the belt,” (I would have never guessed).
I am going to give the program a change and I will work with it some more after I put my nose in my old grammar books, so I will be able to understand the program. 🙂
So, in case you are looking for more confusion while writing…here is the link to