The German International Broadcast company “DW” (Deutsche Welle/German Wave) made a hell of a documentary, which most of us will never see. And why would we? The truth stings a bit, it has the tendency to shed light on secrets we don’t want to have to deal with.
We have been told we are great again, our economy is amazing, our unemployment rates lower than ever. It must be accurate, it has to be true. Because if it isn’t, then what?
Confessing we might not be that great, that would be defeat. We are the greatest country in the world, we say it openly and insist on continuing to do so. Please, let it be the truth. This all has to be good for something. The last three years have left people angry, hate is now shown openly, and the last election has divided this country brutally.
This is the United States of America, this is not Brazil or any other country in South America, we have our shit together. Have we?
We are great again. Better than ever. I hear it on TV over and over. It’s an election year, I might have to listen to it again and again. We are great THEY say.
No, we are not a voice whispers inside me.
Just yesterday we canceled cardiac rehab for my husband. It had been set to start on January 24th, I am glad they called to confirm. Turns out his open-heart surgery was just bad timing. Don’t ever have it done by the end of a year, wait and postpone heart problems into the new year -if you can.
“You will have to pay for the cardiac rehab out of your pocket,” she said and explained further, that we ONLY have to pay until our new deductible for this year is met (3K). After that, we ONLY have to pay 20%, the remaining 80% will be covered by our (Un)health insurance.
“Cancel the appointment,” my husband said and so I did. It’s just not in the card right now. We have been slammed with medical bills, we just survived two months without his income. We are great again -just a bit smaller and poorer, perhaps also quieter these days.
Cardiac rehabilitation, also called cardiac rehab, is a customized outpatient program of exercise and education. Cardiac rehabilitation is designed to help you improve your health and help you recover from a heart attack, other forms of heart disease or surgery to treat heart disease. (Source Mayo Clinic.)
Sounds good but screw it! We cannot afford it. Perhaps we can find something on youtube and we can develop something similar at home? Home-made cardio rehab…here we come!
We are great again! All is good!
It’s just a documentary. I have been watching it on my computer, in my warm home while sipping a cup of tea. It didn’t make me feel uncomfortable -I have seen too much to react that way- it didn’t leave me speechless.
The story of the gentleman who sleeps in his car, because he lost everything and burned through is savings when he had heart problems, touches me deeply.
This could have been us, I think to myself, and I look around and feel grateful. We survived with the help of friends and coworkers. We survived because I worked like a maniac. We survived because there were no complications. How lucky are we? (I mean it.)
Not everybody is that lucky, perhaps that’s why I took the time to watch the whole video. This could have been us so easily.
My husband’s open-heart surgery has saved his life and changed ours forever. We lived through it, we got a taste of our system, a taste that I will never forget and how could I? Eyes wide open -heart as well- into the future. What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger!
You were lucky, the voice inside me whispers and I nod. I know!
We are great again, aren’t we?